About Richard Peabody –
poet, fiction author, literary editor, publisher, teacher, mentor
News about Richard Peabody
• The Richard Peabody Reader, the newest work from Richard Peabody, is in print (Alan Squire, 435 pp., paperback, $24.95; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/098483298X?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=098483298X&linkCode=xm2&tag=thewaspos09-20)! Edited by Lucinda Ebersole, with an introduction by Michael Dirda.
The reviews are glowing, including:
The Washington Independent Review of Books -
The Washington Post -
Pedestal magazine -
• Richard Peabody, publisher of Gargoyle literary magazine, has received the 2013 Above and Beyond Award from Beyond the Margins for his ongoing generosity to other writers and his important contributions to the world of literature: http://beyondthemargins.com/2013/01/above-and-beyond-award-winner-2013-richard-peabody/
• Richard Peabody was invited to judge the F. Scott Fitzgerald short story contest.
• Poet and Gargoyle publisher Richard Peabody has a new audio chapbook, Nylon Soul, now up at CD Baby, Google, Amazon and iTunes (see Poetry section, below, for links).
• Gargoyle publisher Richard Peabody spoke at the 2014 Gaithersburg Book Festival.
Richard Peabody's readings
• Richard Peabody read for Hot Street in NY in 2013: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.139808532869384.1073741829.124054587778112&type=1
• Gargoyle literary magazine publisher Richard Peabody joined Rose Solari in a reading of their works on February 28, 2013, at the One More Page independent bookshop in Arlington, VA. Peabody read from his acclaimed latest short-story collection, Blue Suburban Skies. Solari read from her new novel, A Secret Woman.Details at: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151481603444660.1073741825.246509194659&type=3.
• Richard Peabody, publisher of Gargoyle literary magazine, participated in a joint reading with Rose Solari at Washington, DC's Politics and Prose bookstore on November 17, 2012. For details, go to: http://www.politics-prose.com/event/book/richard-peabody-speed-enforced-aircraft-rose-solari-secret-woman
• It's a mystery to us, but here's someone doing a live reading of Richard's work - without Richard.
• Listen to Richard Peabody read poetry at Stain Bar July 27, 2007.
• See Richard Peabody read poetry in New York City in 2005.
Interviews with/Coverage of Richard Peabody
• Richard Peabody is one of the authors interviewed about their books and lives, hopes and dreams at http://www.everydayfiction.com/flashfictionblog/uncovrd-richard-peabody/.
• The Common Room took a look at Gargoyle, "the venerable yet always up to date literary journal based in the Washington, DC area": http://www.thecommroom.com/2013/05/tcr-literary-journals-series-gargoyle.html.
• Gargoyle literary magazine publisher Richard Peabody is among the experts featured in a Washington Post look at the changing world of publishing. See what he has to say here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/lifestyle/publishing-industry-profiles/
• And the hits keep coming: Check out an interview at Fuse with Richard Peabody, publisher of Gargoyle literary magazine, by clicking here.
• Check out an interview with Gargoyle publisher and Paycock Press owner Richard Peabody at Lit Bridge: http://www.litbridge.com/2013/02/18/interview-with-paycock-press-and-gargoyle-magazine/.
• Jen Michalski's jmmw blog features a new interview with Richard Peabody, publisher of Gargoyle literary magazine and her nominee for "one of the hardest working writers and editors in the business." Richard talks about his new collection of short stories with Rosalia Scalia at: http://jmwwblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/15/interview-mr-blue-skies/
• Check out this new interview with Gargoyle publisher Richard Peabody for insights into the writing process, publishing fiction, mentors, online publishing and more: http://fictionaut.com/blog/2012/09/26/fictionaut-five-richard-peabody/
• This is fun - Dave Housley reacts to works by Gargoyle's Richard Peabody here.
• There's an interview with Richard Peabody at Write This here.
• The Washington Post Magazine published what a colleague has called "a lovely and long-overdue profile of (Gargoyle publisher) Richard Peabody, who does so much and then some to tirelessly promote, publicize and shape Washington writers and writing." Read it here.
•A letter to Richard is quoted in the intro to the Library of America collection of Paul Bowles's short stories.
• See Richard Peabody in USA Today, where he's the baseball poet.
• Richard Peabody is included in the new (2014) Washington Independent Review of Books: A Sampler. See it at:
Reviews of Richard Peabody's work
• There's a fabulous review of Gargoyle publisher Richard Peabody's Blue Suburban Skies at the Washington Independent Review of Books! The book was the Pick of the Week through Xmas at Politics & Prose bookstore in DC: http://www.politics-prose.com/. Blue Suburban Skies also received a glowing review from Pedestal magazine at http://www.thepedestalmagazine.com/gallery.php?item=23121.
A new (2014) review of Blue Suburban Skies can be found at "The Whimsy of Creation: The Blog of Tieryas," by Peter Tieryas: http://tieryas.wordpress.com/2014/03/14/tieryas-reviews-blue-suburban-skies-by-richard-peabody/.
• The new issue of the Broadkill Review (vol. 6, issue 6) includes a review of Gargoyle publisher Richard Peabody's newest collection of short stories, Blue Suburban Skies. Reviewer Scott Whitaker calls the work a "... tight collection of satire, masculine existential crises, and strong females popping with sexual energy ..." and (as) "entertaining as it is serious." Check it out by clicking here.
Nonfiction by Richard Peabody
• Learn what was involved in bringing Kathy Acker to Washington in Richard Peabody's article at the Doctor T.J. Eckleburg Review site: http://thedoctortjeckleburgreview.com/2013/04/02/kathy-acker-king-of-the-pirates-comes-to-washington-dc/
• Read Richard's High Five in the summer 2007 issue of the JMWW review.
Poetry by Richard Peabody
• Speed Enforced by Aircraft, 2012 – nominated for a National Book Award. A colleague says it's "superb, smart, surprising, sweet and contemplative by turns. It's a tour de force." Check it out at https://sites.google.com/site/thebroadkillriverpress/ or at Amazon or Barnes and Noble.
• Last of the Red Hot Magnetos, 2004.
• Rain Flowers, e-chapbook, 2002.
• Sad Fashions, 1990.
• Echt & Ersatz, 1985.
In anthologies/websites, etc.
• Richard Peabody has a new poem in Lines + Stars, a journal of poetry and short prose.
• Gargoyle magazine publisher and editor Richard Peabody has a new poem in the Innisfree Poetry Journal: "Briseis."
• Richard Peabody's poem "Are There Any FBI Agents in Heaven?" is in Margin.
• Read more of Richard's poems in:
• Richard Peabody is included in the Thrush Poetry Journal: an anthology of the first two years:https://www.createspace.com/4732700
Fiction by Richard Peabody
• Richard Peabody's Blue Suburban Skies is available at: http://mainstreetrag.com/bookstore/product/blue-suburban-skies/, 2012
• Sugar Mountain, 2000.
• Open Joints on Bridge, 1999.
• Paraffin Days, 1995.
In anthologies/websites, etc.
• A new story by Richard Peabody in Stymie magazine: http://www.stymiemag.com/2014/03/richard-peabody-hedgehogs-31-renegades.html#more.
• A collaborative short story, with the opening and closing by Richard Peabody: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/.../books/peabodyser.htm.
• Flash fiction, "King of the Zombies," in Word Riot.
• "Peppermint Schnapps," in Wilderness House Literary Review #6/4: http://www.whlreview.com/index-6.4.html.
• "pas de deux," 2003.
• Essence of Mitchum, 2000.
Richard Peabody as editor
Gargoyle Magazine - #1–60 (1976–ongoing)
Defying Gravity: More and More Fiction by Washington Area Women, coming fall 2013
Amazing Graces: Yet Another Collection of Fiction by Washington Area Women, the fifth collection of fiction by Washington, DC-area women in the Grace & Gravity series from Paycock Press, 2012
Gravity Dancers: Even More Fiction by Washington Area Women, ed. by Richard Peabody,. 2009
Stress City: A Big Book of Fiction by 51 DC Area Guys, ed. by Richard Peabody, 2009
Electric Grace: Still More Fiction by Washington Area Women, ed. by Richard Peabody, November 2008
Kiss the Sky: Fiction & Poetry Starring Jimi Hendrix, ed. by Richard Peabody, ltd. to 1,000 cc, 2007
Enhanced Gravity: More Fiction by Washington Area Women, ed. by Richard Peabody, 2006
Sex & Chocolate: Tasty Morsels for Mind and Body ed. by Lucinda Ebersole & Richard Peabody, ltd. to 1,000 cc, 343 pp, 2006
Alice Redux: New Stories of Alice, Lewis, and Wonderland, ed. by Richard Peabody, ltd. to 1,000 cc, 319 pp, 2005
Conversations with Gore Vidal (Literary Conversations Series) (w/Lucinda Ebersole), 2005, University of Mississippi.
31 Arlington Poets, 2004
Loose Change by Tina Fulker, 1995
Manuscript Assessment/Literary Consultation
Poet, short story writer and literary lion Richard Peabody offers assessments of manuscripts in progress and literary consultation to help you make your work its best. Contact Richard at email@example.com
To read a manuscript sans red pen and simply tell you what he thinks, Richard charges $1 a page. He sends you a short (1–2 pp) critique and doesn't return the manuscript.
To read and critique manuscripts, Richard charges $2 a page – poetry/fiction/nf. Book-length or individual stories, essays, poems. He red-pens the document and sends a much longer written critique.
All manuscripts are to be double-spaced. Book-length manuscripts should be in Courier font (as that's what agents and editors expect).
A check made out to Richard Peabody should accompany your manuscript.